What is the definition of email click-through rate?
In the context of an email campaign, the click-through rate is the percentage of people who clicked on a link in an email marketing campaign, compared to the total number of people who received this email.
This performance indicator measures the recipients' engagement with the email content and their interest in the commercial offers or information shared. Thus, a good email click-through rate indicates that the content of the email is relevant and interesting for the recipients. While a low click-through rate means that the content is not engaging or relevant enough for the recipients.
What is a good email click-through rate and how to calculate it?
A good email click-through rate depends on your business sector, the type of email you send and the quality of your subscriber list. But in general, a good unique click-through rate is above 3%, regardless of your business activity (source: Mailchimp).
If your unique click-through rate is less than 1%, you can certainly improve your marketing strategy.
Calculating your click-through rate is easy. You need to divide your number of unique clicks by the total number of emails sent and multiply the result by 100 to get a percentage. Here is the formula:
Click-through rate = (Number of clicks / Number of emails sent) * 100
You should regularly analyze this metric to evaluate the effectiveness of your email marketing campaigns and make adjustments to improve their performance.
7 tips to get a good email click-through rate
Below, Kiliba shares with you 7 tips to have a good emailing click rate and boost the performance of your marketing campaigns.
1. Clearly define your emailing objectives
Let's start with the first important point: defining your emailing objectives.
- Create a persona sheet to better understand your target audience, their interests and needs to optimize your emailing strategy.
- Define clear, measurable and specific objectives for your email campaigns.
- Make sure your emailing goals are aligned with your broader business goals.
- Regularly evaluate the results of your email campaigns and adjust them accordingly to maximize their effectiveness.
By clearly defining your emailing objectives, you maximize the effectiveness of your campaigns and get the desired results.
2. Use eye-catching and relevant objects
Here are some tips for writing catchy and relevant email subjects:
- Be clear and concise: people are often overwhelmed and don't have a lot of time to spend on their inbox. Make sure your subject line is short, concise and to the point.
- Ask a question: by asking specific questions to your list of subscribers, you arouse their curiosity and encourage them to click for an answer.
- Create urgency: people are more likely to act when they feel they need to do so quickly. Use words like "now", "immediately" or "don't miss" to get people to act.
- Be creative: unique and creative email objects can attract attention and get people to click.
- Use action verbs: action verbs such as "get", "find out", and "enjoy" can entice recipients to click for more.
- Be specific: more specific email topics are often more relevant to recipients.
Remember that the content of the subject line must be relevant and of quality for your subscribers. To help you do this, you can use your persona sheet to create content that is specific and impactful to your contacts.
3. Write content that is consistent with your business offer
The content you send to your contact list must be consistent with your business offer. This way, you reinforce the credibility and trust of your subscribers towards your company.
Moreover, a good consistency between the content of your emails and your commercial offer can help you better target the interests and needs of your target audience, which can improve the performance of your email campaign.
This way, recipients are more likely to check out your offer, interact with your company and become customers.
4. CTA buttons: make your calls to action look good
The call-to-action (CTA) button is the key element in an e-mail. Indeed, it is thanks to your call-to-action button that you can measure your emailing click rate. It allows you to incite your recipients to perform an action.
If the appearance of your CTA button is poor, it may discourage your email list subscribers from clicking on it and thus reduce the effectiveness of your email marketing campaign.
Therefore, it is imperative that you make this button look catchy, clear and easily identifiable. Use bright colors, fonts that are consistent with the content of your email and clear, relevant call-to-action text to help your subscribers understand what they are supposed to do.
5. Write an impactful call-to-action
Your call to action text must be impactful to have a good emailing click rate. Your call to action must be a logical continuation of the title and content of the message that caught the attention of your contact list and aroused their interest.
Once your recipients have opened your email, your ultimate goal is to make them want to click on the button to reach the desired page. That's why your call-to-action text must fulfill the promise made by the title and the mouthpiece of the content.
Instead of using neutral phrasing such as "Click here", Kiliba advises you to use action verbs such as "Explore", "Discover", "Enjoy", etc.
6. Place your calls to action in the right place at the right time
Since your recipients usually only have a few seconds to look at your email, it is important that they understand your intention immediately.
To increase your click-through rate, one trick is to include a first call-to-action button at the top of the page, so that it is visible without having to scroll down the email.
In addition, to reinforce the effectiveness of this strategy and maximize your click-through rate, you can repeat the call to action further down in the email.
7. Create responsive emails and boost your email click-through rate
If your email format is not responsive, the majority of your users will not take a second to engage with your content. We share with you some relevant figures about email opening on mobile:
- 43% of emails are received and opened on mobile. (source : Litmus)
- Emails that are not responsive and do not display properly on mobile are likely to be deleted within three seconds of receipt. (source: Campaign Monitor)
- 23% of readers who have opened an email on their cell phone open it again later in the day. (source: Campaign Monitor)
The format of your emails must be responsive. As you can see from the numbers above, it would be a shame for you to sit on the majority of your subscribers.
The emailing click rate in summary
The click-through rate - as part of an email marketing strategy - measures the engagement of recipients with the email content as well as their interest in the offers or information shared.
A good email click rate indicates that the content of the email is relevant and interesting for the recipients. To optimize it, you must focus on several points:
- Write catchy and relevant topics;
- Be clear in the purpose of your email;
- Personalize your emails;
- Create clear and impactful calls to action;
- Optimize your email format for mobile devices;
- Testing different types of content;
- Segment your mailing list.
We also remind you the importance of regularly monitoring your click-through rate to improve the performance of your email campaign.
Moreover, Kiliba helps you boost your email click-through rate with an automated, impactful and personalized marketing campaign for each of your subscribers. Kiliba takes care of everything.